| Both sides previous revisionPrevious revisionNext revision | Previous revision |
| library [2024/02/29 15:13] – bant07 | library [2026/07/22 16:28] (current) – [Sources] bant07 |
|---|
| ===== The Washington College Library ===== | ===== The Washington College Library ===== |
| |
| After receiving the [[charter|charter]] to found Washington College in May 1823, a first order of business included collecting books to begin the College's library. The [[wheaton_nathaniel_s|Rev. Nathaniel Wheaton]] traveled to England during the summer of 1823, obtaining about 400 titles in 1,146 volumes. Primarily religious and classical literature from the 17th-18th centuries, Trinity still retains many of the volumes from "the Wheaton Collection," though at the time some students found the collections outdated. ((In discussing the library collections, it is important to distinguish between the number of individual works (titles) and the number of volumes (physical bulk). For instance, one title might be comprised of 32 volumes.)) | After receiving the [[charter|charter]] to found Washington College in May 1823, a first order of business included collecting books to begin the College's library. The [[wheaton_nathaniel_s|Rev. Nathaniel Wheaton]] traveled to England during the summer of 1823, obtaining about 400 titles in 1,146 volumes. ((In discussing the library collections, it is important to distinguish between the number of individual works (titles) and the number of volumes (physical bulk). For instance, one title might be comprised of 32 volumes.)) Primarily religious and classical literature from the 17th-18th centuries, Trinity still retains many of the volumes from "the [[wheaton_s_library|Wheaton Collection]]," though at the time some students found the collections outdated. |
| |
| Beginning in 1824, students were charged $1.00 per [[terms|term]] for use of the library, which was only open for several hours a day. The library was housed in [[seabury_hall_old_campus|Seabury Hall]] after its completion in 1825. | Beginning in 1824, students were charged $1.00 per [[terms|term]] for use of the library, which was only open for several hours a day. The library was housed in [[seabury_hall_old_campus|Seabury Hall]] after its completion in 1825. |
| |
| [{{:10.2307_community.2661614-1.jpg?400 |The first College library, Seabury Hall, ca. 1870. Photo credit: [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.2661614|Trinity College Archives]]}}] | [{{:10.2307_community.2661614-1.jpg?400 |The first College library, Seabury Hall, ca. 1870. Photo credit: [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.2661614|Trinity College Archives]]}}] |
| |
| The duties of “Librarian” at first were fulfilled by the tutors. In 1852, the [[trustees|trustees]] established the librarian as an independent position. The first librarian was Samuel Fermor Jarvis, son of Samuel Farmar Jarvis. Both Jarvis and his successor, Charles J. Hoadley, Class of 1851, served short terms but were instrumental in the development and improvement of the library. | |
| |
| The formation of literary societies also assisted in rapidly increasing the books held by Washington College. The [[athenaeum|Athenaeum]], a literary and debating society, was formed in 1825, joined by the [[parthenon|Parthenon]] in 1827; they collected "a considerable collection of poetry, dramatic works, novels, tales, and romances, areas in which the College Library was rather weak." These books were regarded as "an integral part of the College Library...the combined society collections exceeded that of the regular College Library in size." ((Weaver, p. 55)) When the societies disbanded in 1870, their expansive libraries were donated to the College for incorporation into the main collection. | The formation of literary societies also assisted in rapidly increasing the books held by Washington College. The [[athenaeum|Athenaeum]], a literary and debating society, was formed in 1825, joined by the [[parthenon|Parthenon]] in 1827; they collected "a considerable collection of poetry, dramatic works, novels, tales, and romances, areas in which the College Library was rather weak." These books were regarded as "an integral part of the College Library...the combined society collections exceeded that of the regular College Library in size." ((Weaver, p. 55)) When the societies disbanded in 1870, their expansive libraries were donated to the College for incorporation into the main collection. |
| In the summer of 1826, the Rev. Dr. Samuel Farmar Jarvis (son of the Rt. Rev. Abraham Jarvis) donated his extensive personal collection of books to the library. As opposed to the Wheaton collection, his 4,000 volumes were "rich in literature and history" with "a recent selection of leading authors." As the College was unclear regarding the donation agreement, "the librarians attempted to forbid the undergraduates use" of them, though the students did, anyway. The 1826 //Terms of Admission and Course Studies, Expenses, &Etc.//, read: "A good Library has been obtained; and the Rev. Dr. Jarvis has very generously deposited his valuable collection of Books in the institution, for the use of the Students." By 1837, the combined total of the library and society libraries totaled 14,000, but the College ran into a problem: Dr. Jarvis, who was by then serving as Professor of Oriental Languages, was unhappy with the way his collection was being stewarded, particularly that some of the books had gone missing. When Jarvis resigned that year from Washington College, his collections left with him, dropping the College's volumes to no more than 6,000. | In the summer of 1826, the Rev. Dr. Samuel Farmar Jarvis (son of the Rt. Rev. Abraham Jarvis) donated his extensive personal collection of books to the library. As opposed to the Wheaton collection, his 4,000 volumes were "rich in literature and history" with "a recent selection of leading authors." As the College was unclear regarding the donation agreement, "the librarians attempted to forbid the undergraduates use" of them, though the students did, anyway. The 1826 //Terms of Admission and Course Studies, Expenses, &Etc.//, read: "A good Library has been obtained; and the Rev. Dr. Jarvis has very generously deposited his valuable collection of Books in the institution, for the use of the Students." By 1837, the combined total of the library and society libraries totaled 14,000, but the College ran into a problem: Dr. Jarvis, who was by then serving as Professor of Oriental Languages, was unhappy with the way his collection was being stewarded, particularly that some of the books had gone missing. When Jarvis resigned that year from Washington College, his collections left with him, dropping the College's volumes to no more than 6,000. |
| |
| Through the following decades, the College established an Alumni Library fund, revamped the library and created an inventory of books. With the gift of the literary societies' libraries in 1870, the collections grew to 15,000 volumes, enough to fill two reading rooms which were open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Alongside books, the libraries boasted for the first time "Hartford and New York newspapers, college papers, and English periodicals." ((Weaver, p. 157)) One of the students' favorite publications was the New York //Daily Graphic//, as Trinity alumnus Arthur Dyer, Class of 1870, was on the staff and "did everything in his power to put the name of 'Trinity'" in the paper. | Through the following decades, the College established an Alumni Library fund, revamped the library and created an inventory of books. The duties of “Librarian” were fulfilled by the tutors until 1852, when the [[trustees|trustees]] established the Librarian as an independent position. The first Librarian was Samuel Fermor Jarvis, son of the same Samuel Farmar Jarvis who had donated and revoked his collections. Both Jarvis and his successor, Charles J. Hoadley, Class of 1851, served short terms but were instrumental in the development and improvement of the library. |
| | |
| | By 1868, a new Master Plan was in development and a designated library building was included in the proposed additions. With the gift of the literary societies' libraries in 1870, the collections grew to 15,000 volumes, enough to fill two reading rooms which were open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Alongside books, the libraries boasted for the first time "Hartford and New York newspapers, college papers, and English periodicals." ((Weaver, p. 157)) One of the students' favorite publications was the New York //Daily Graphic//, as Trinity alumnus Arthur Dyer, Class of 1870, was on the staff and "did everything in his power to put the name of 'Trinity'" in the paper. |
| |
| By 1868, a new Master Plan was in development and a designated library building was included in the proposed additions; however, the new library that students received was not in the way they expected. In 1872, the trustees accepted the [[hartford|City of Hartford]]'s offer to purchase the [[old_campus|old campus]] land, and the buildings were demolished after a final [[commencement|commencement]] in 1878. The new library would not just be in a new building, but on a new campus entirely. | However, the new library that students were to receive was not in the way they expected. In 1872, the trustees accepted the [[hartford|City of Hartford]]'s offer to purchase the [[old_campus|old campus]] land, and the buildings were demolished after a final [[commencement|commencement]] in 1878. The new library would not just be in a new building, but on a new campus entirely. |
| |
| ===== The Seabury Library ===== | ===== The Seabury Library ===== |
| The library staff included the Reverend John Humphrey Barbour and student assistants whenever possible. Barbour had catalogued the book collection and created a card catalog, but many books went missing due to "untrained though well-wishing student amateurs." | The library staff included the Reverend John Humphrey Barbour and student assistants whenever possible. Barbour had catalogued the book collection and created a card catalog, but many books went missing due to "untrained though well-wishing student amateurs." |
| |
| By the 1890s, "students constantly complained that the Library was not being kept up to date and that the book collection was more suitable to the older curricula which had been adopted in 1884." ((Weaver, p. 234)) However, others found value in its rich collections of older materials dating to the 17th and 18th centuries, including religious pamphlets, government documents, medical works, scientific periodicals and English literature, History, and Political Economy. In 1895, Trinity College became a member of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) which distributes government publications to participating libraries for public use; Trinity was still a member in 2023. | By the 1890s, "students constantly complained that the Library was not being kept up to date and that the book collection was more suitable to the older curricula which had been adopted in 1884." ((Weaver, p. 234)) However, others found value in its rich collections of older materials dating to the 17th and 18th centuries, including religious pamphlets, government documents, medical works, scientific periodicals and English literature, History, and Political Economy. In 1895, Trinity College became a member of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) which distributes government publications to participating libraries for public use; it remains a member today. |
| |
| The library collections totaled 39,682 volumes by 1900 and the library was open five to six hours per day. Since the Department of Natural History moved to the brand-new [[boardman_hall|Boardman Hall]] that year, the library had more space, and both the book collections and student population boomed in part to a growing curriculum. | The library collections totaled 39,682 volumes by 1900 and the library was open five to six hours per day. Since the Department of Natural History moved to the brand-new [[boardman_hall|Boardman Hall]] that year, the library had more space, and both the book collections and student population boomed in part to a growing curriculum. |
| In 1912, [[morgan_j._pierpont|J. P. Morgan]] traveled to Hartford to visit his cousins and Trinity trustees, Francis and James Goodwin. During the visit, Morgan spoke with President [[luther_flavel_sweeten|Flavel Sweeten Luther]], who mentioned the need for a new library. Morgan enthusiastically agreed to fund the building, which could also serve as memorial to his late friend [[williams_john|Bishop John Williams]]. It was a project that could fulfill two needs the College had been hoping to achieve since 1899. | In 1912, [[morgan_j._pierpont|J. P. Morgan]] traveled to Hartford to visit his cousins and Trinity trustees, Francis and James Goodwin. During the visit, Morgan spoke with President [[luther_flavel_sweeten|Flavel Sweeten Luther]], who mentioned the need for a new library. Morgan enthusiastically agreed to fund the building, which could also serve as memorial to his late friend [[williams_john|Bishop John Williams]]. It was a project that could fulfill two needs the College had been hoping to achieve since 1899. |
| |
| ===== The Williams Library ===== | ===== The Williams Memorial Library ===== |
| |
| Though Morgan died in 1913, [[williams_memorial|Williams Memorial]] still began construction later that year, under Morgan's chosen architect Benjamin Wistar Morris, Class of 1893. Dedicated in October 1914, Williams Memorial was built with space for a bigger library and reading room on the second floor. Significantly, Williams' location was "at precisely the point specified in the original campus plan prepared by [[burges_william|William Burges]]." At the time of its completion, the library contained 65,000 volumes. | Though Morgan died in 1913, [[williams_memorial|Williams Memorial]] still began construction later that year, under Morgan's chosen architect Benjamin Wistar Morris, Class of 1893. Dedicated in October 1914, Williams Memorial was built with space for a bigger library and reading room on the second floor. Significantly, Williams' location was "at precisely the point specified in the original campus plan prepared by [[burges_william|William Burges]]." At the time of its completion, the library contained 65,000 volumes. |
| Designed by O'Connor & Kilham, the architects who later designed many other campus buildings, the planned addition would cost $450,000 and would involve rebuilding Williams, adding a 90-foot extension "90 feet north of the present east wing" with an entrance tower, seven tiers of stacks (also in a tower) able to support 150,000 volumes, bay windows, a new reading room, and lobby--all entirely fireproof. ((//Trinity Tripod//, 14 Dec 1946)) | Designed by O'Connor & Kilham, the architects who later designed many other campus buildings, the planned addition would cost $450,000 and would involve rebuilding Williams, adding a 90-foot extension "90 feet north of the present east wing" with an entrance tower, seven tiers of stacks (also in a tower) able to support 150,000 volumes, bay windows, a new reading room, and lobby--all entirely fireproof. ((//Trinity Tripod//, 14 Dec 1946)) |
| |
| It soon became apparent, however, that a new building, rather than an addition, was necessary to support the Library's needs for space, due in part to the decision to move the Watkinson Library collections from the Atheneum to Trinity. By 1950, the funds were secured and construction on the Trinity Library could begin. | However, a 1946 report (("Critique of the Present Library Building and the Proposed Extension," 1946)) written by Associate Librarian Donald B. Engley discouraged a Williams Memorial addition in favor of a new standalone building located centrally to campus foot traffic. Engley authored a later report in 1949 in which he stated that any addition to Williams must be in the collegiate Gothic style, and "no style could be less in harmony with the spirit of a working library where the emphasis must be on light, comfort, and informality, the requisites for study and research." He goes on to say that "small, narrow windows, high vaulted ceilings, noisy halls, and a stiff formality of atmosphere mitigate the successful operation of a library." (("A Proposed Site for a New Library Building," Aug. 27, 1949, p. 2.)) |
| | ((Both reports are from the Trinity College Treasurer's Records, Box 6: Real Estate - Buildings - Library - Construction, 1950-1952)) |
| |
| ===== Raether Library and Information Technology Center ===== | At the same time, Watkinson Library trustees were undergoing "a long and serious search" to find another institution with which to affiliate, as their collections were deteriorating and suffering due to financial strain at the Hartford Public Library/Wadsworth Atheneum and Hartford Historical Society.((Trinity College Bulletin (Alumni News), May 1950, p.5.)) Conversations began between the Watkinson Trustees and Trinity College. Between 1949 and 1951, Trinity College offered to clean and restore its books, then construct a new library building to permanently house the Watkinson Library collections alongside its own. After Donald B. Engley took the position of Associate Librarian at Trinity, he helped plan the move to Trinity. "This merger of two libraries will bring together two distinguished collections to make one of the finest libraries in the entire country," Engley said. ((Trinity College Bulletin (Alumni News), May 1950, p. 6.)) |
| | |
| | By 1950, the funds were secured and construction on the Trinity Library could begin. It would be the first time in Trinity's history that the collections would move to a library building all their own. |
| | |
| | ===== Trinity College Library ===== |
| | |
| | ==== The First Library Building (1950) ==== |
| |
| ==== The New Library (1952-1977) ==== | |
| [{{:reading_room.jpg?350 |The George Hamlin Memorial Reading Room, ca. 1952. Photo credit: [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.34658847|Trinity College Archives]]}}] | [{{:reading_room.jpg?350 |The George Hamlin Memorial Reading Room, ca. 1952. Photo credit: [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.34658847|Trinity College Archives]]}}] |
| |
| The student body more than doubled in size by 1977 due to the introduction of [[coeducation|coeducation]] and expanding enrollment quotas, overtaxing the building. Meanwhile, the library collections were steadily growing at a rate of about 10,000 volumes per year. As such, Trinity's 150th Anniversary Capital Campaign included a library expansion that was overdue: "Nearly 50,000 volumes, of the library's total collection of 597,389 items are presently stored in the basement of the [[albert_c._jacobs_life_sciences_center_lsc|Life Sciences building]]. The new addition is intended to accommodate library expansion for approximately another twenty years." ((//Trinity Tripod//, 17 Oct 1978)) | The student body more than doubled in size by 1977 due to the introduction of [[coeducation|coeducation]] and expanding enrollment quotas, overtaxing the building. Meanwhile, the library collections were steadily growing at a rate of about 10,000 volumes per year. As such, Trinity's 150th Anniversary Capital Campaign included a library expansion that was overdue: "Nearly 50,000 volumes, of the library's total collection of 597,389 items are presently stored in the basement of the [[albert_c._jacobs_life_sciences_center_lsc|Life Sciences building]]. The new addition is intended to accommodate library expansion for approximately another twenty years." ((//Trinity Tripod//, 17 Oct 1978)) |
| |
| ==== A Technological Expansion (1978-2000) ==== | ==== A Technological Expansion (1978) ==== |
| |
| [{{ :librarymodel.jpg?300|Architect's model of the 1977 expansion.}}] | [{{ :librarymodel.jpg?300|Architect's model of the 1977 expansion.}}] |
| |Trinity College Archives]]}}] | |Trinity College Archives]]}}] |
| |
| In 1983, Trinity installed two OCLC computer terminals which allowed students to search over nine million catalog records. Librarian Ralph Emerick believed that "within five years," Trinity would change from using a card catalog (which cost at the time $90,000 to upkeep) to a retrieval system through OCLC ($50,000 per year). | In 1983, Trinity installed a OCLC computer terminal which allowed students to search over nine million catalog records. Librarian Ralph Emerick believed that "within five years," Trinity would change from using a card catalog (which cost at the time $90,000 to upkeep) to a retrieval system through OCLC ($50,000 per year). |
| |
| The year 1984 brought the creation of the CTW Consortium, establishing a collaboration with Connecticut College and Wesleyan University that has lasted decades. The "CTW System" became a reality in 1986, in which a shared //Sirsi// catalog between the three libraries and interlibrary loan system was developed. | The year 1984 brought the creation of the CTW Consortium, establishing a collaboration with Connecticut College and Wesleyan University that has lasted decades. The "CTW System" became a reality in 1986, in which a shared //Sirsi// catalog between the three libraries and interlibrary loan system was developed. |
| Another major library renovation was also on the horizon--having begun investigation in 1991. The library expansion became part of a Capital Campaign as well as the 1997 Master Plan. This time, the renovation would not just be for space and print volumes, but have the capacity to incorporate new departments, technology, and network infrastructure. | Another major library renovation was also on the horizon--having begun investigation in 1991. The library expansion became part of a Capital Campaign as well as the 1997 Master Plan. This time, the renovation would not just be for space and print volumes, but have the capacity to incorporate new departments, technology, and network infrastructure. |
| |
| ==== LITC (2001-present) ==== | ==== Raether Library and Information Technology Center (2001) ==== |
| |
| Breaking ground on May 19, 2001, the library's second renovation and expansion doubled the building's size and was completed in 2003. Designed by Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg (KPMB) Architects of Toronto, much of the new addition was on the library's south side. The building was renamed the Library and Information Technology Center (LITC), dedicated to Wendy and Paul E. Raether ’68, P’93, ’96, ’01. | Breaking ground on May 19, 2001, the library's second renovation and expansion doubled the building's size and was completed in 2003. Designed by Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg (KPMB) Architects of Toronto, much of the new addition was on the library's south side. The building was renamed the Library and Information Technology Center (LITC), dedicated to Wendy and Paul E. Raether ’68, P’93, ’96, ’01. |
| |
| [{{:main_stairs.jpg?300 |The main stairs on Level A, ca. 2011. Photo credit: [[https://www.facebook.com/TrinityCollegeLibrary |Trinity College]]}}] | [{{:main_stairs.jpg?300 |The main stairs on Level A, ca. 2011. Photo credit: [[https://www.facebook.com/TrinityCollegeLibrary |Trinity College]]}}] |
| |
| In 2022 and 2023, the library invited student artists to paint murals to brighten common areas and expanded leisure reading areas with the removal of stacks and addition of cozy furniture. The library has also created new exhibition spaces in order to showcase art as well as interesting items from the archives and special collections, just as it did in 1952. | |
| |
| In 2023, Trinity College officially became a part of the Boston Library Consortium, joining 23 other New England area institutions in a collaboration of shared resources and professional development opportunities. | In 2023, Trinity College officially became a part of the Boston Library Consortium, joining 23 other New England area institutions in a collaboration of shared resources and professional development opportunities. |
| [[https://www.courant.com/2001/05/09/trinity-sets-library-renovation/|"Trinity Sets Library Renovation,"]] //Hartford Courant//, 9 May 2001. | [[https://www.courant.com/2001/05/09/trinity-sets-library-renovation/|"Trinity Sets Library Renovation,"]] //Hartford Courant//, 9 May 2001. |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/w_books/2/|Trinity College in the Twentieth Century]] (2000) by Peter and Anne Knapp, pp. 123, 182-184, 256, 413-414, 423-424. | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/w_books/2|Trinity College in the Twentieth Century]] (2000) by Peter and Anne Knapp, pp. 123, 182-184, 256, 413-414, 423-424. |
| |
| [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/reporter/282|The Trinity Reporter]] (Spring 1979), pp. 10-15. | [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/reporter/282|The Trinity Reporter]] (Spring 1979), pp. 10-15. |
| [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/tripod/1115|The Trinity Tripod]], 10/17/1978. | [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/tripod/1115|The Trinity Tripod]], 10/17/1978. |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/w_books/4/|The History of Trinity College]] (1967) by Glenn Weaver. | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/w_books/4|The History of Trinity College]] (1967) by Glenn Weaver. |
| | |
| | [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/265|Trinity College Bulletin]], 1963-1964 (Report of the Librarian) (1964). |
| | |
| | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/tripod/2897|The Trinity Tripod]], 12/10/1952. |
| |
| [[http://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/265|Trinity College Bulletin, 1963-1964 (Report of the Librarian)]] (1964). | [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.31511595|The Trinity College Bulletin (Alumni News),]] May 1950. |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/tripod/2897/|The Trinity Tripod]], 12/10/1952. | [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.29484121|The Trinity Tripod]], 12/14/1946. |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/534/|Trinity College Bulletin (Report of the Librarian)]] (1941). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/534|Trinity College Bulletin (Report of the Librarian)]] (1941). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/53/|Trinity College Bulletin (Report of the Librarian)]] (1916). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/53|Trinity College Bulletin (Report of the Librarian)]] (1916). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/46/|Trinity College Bulletin, April 1915, Dedication of Williams Memorial]] (1915). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/46|Trinity College Bulletin, April 1915, Dedication of Williams Memorial]] (1915). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/ivy/10/|The Trinity Ivy, 1909]] (1909). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/ivy/10/|The Trinity Ivy, 1909]] (1909). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1023&context=ivy|The Trinity Ivy, 1902]] (1902). | [[https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.29304972|The Trinity Ivy, 1902]] (1902). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/106/|Catalogue of Trinity College, 1862-63]] (1863). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/106|Catalogue of Trinity College, 1862-63]] (1863). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/421/|Catalogue of Washington College (Officers and Students), 1837-1838]] (1838). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/421|Catalogue of Washington College (Officers and Students), 1837-1838]] (1838). |
| |
| [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/414/|Washington College Terms of Admission, Course of Studies, Expenses]] (1826). | [[https://digitalrepository.trincoll.edu/bulletin/414|Washington College Terms of Admission, Course of Studies, Expenses]] (1826). |
| ---- | ---- |
| |